I wanted to bake something with mangoes before the season ended and what better than this awesome cheesecake.
I loved making this cheesecake… not only because it was my best recipe to-date but also because I had so much fun making it. I was helped in great measure by a dear friend who I miss very much and we had a ball of a time. The end result was awesome, as you can see from these pictures.
So without further ado, presenting the recipe which I adapted from various sites.
Cream cheese – 1 block (250gm, Philadelphia Cream Cheese)- I used Britannia Cream Cheese
Cream – 170 gm – I used Amul 25%fat
Sugar – Half a cup (I used a little more since the mangoes weren’t exactly the sweetest ones available)
Mango puree – 3/4 of a cup (I used 1 cup)
Gelatine/ Agar – 1 Tbsp
Hot Water – 1/4 cup
Digestive biscuits (1.5 100gms pack plus 4-5 Oreo cookie biscuits minus the cream- gives a lovely and subtle chocolate flavor to the base- idea courtesy Monika from sinamontales.wordpress.com)
Unsalted butter, melted – 75 gm (about 1/3 of a cup)
How I Made It:
1. Crush the biscuits in a food processor. Add melted butter and whiz again until the mixture comes together. Press into the bottom of an 8″ springform pan that’s lined with aluminium foil or use individual glasses. Refrigerate while preparing the rest of the cheesecake, preferably for around half an hour
2. Mix the cream cheese, cream, and sugar in a bowl until well combined. You can do it by hand or use a whisk. No need to use an electric beater.
3. Add the gelatine to the hot water and stir till it completely dissolves. Remember to ensure that the water is boiling hot. You need to have some patience and keep stirring, don’t be afraid if it forms some lumps. They even out eventually. Heat the water again if it gets cold while mixing the gelatin in. Add the mango puree and stir well. Keep about 1/3rd this mixture aside and add the rest to the cream cheese mixture. Stir gently until well combined.
4. Pour on top of the biscuit base. Please be generous with your cream cheese layer. I used only a 150gm block of cream cheese and it was too thin. Try and make the layer atleast 1.5-2 inches thick. Refrigerate for 2 hours or so.
5. Now Nag’s recipe asks to pour the rest of the mango mixture as the third layer. But for some reason I wanted it to be more glazy. So I used the glaze recipe from Anushruti’s blog- Divine taste (refer to link above and check her photos- they are awesome!)
For the Mango Glaze:
1/3rd portion of the mango-gelatin mixture
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp lime juice
Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat. Let it boil, and then cook on low flame for 3-4 mins. Switch off the gas and let it cool to room temperature. Spread over the cheesecake with a spatula. Dont worry if it seems too less, once it starts spreading it will fill the surface area. Keep the layer thin, since it has a strong flavor.
6. Refrigerate overnight, take out, slice and serve! Enjoy!