My nephew, Father in law and co-sister were here visiting us last week. We were to have a dinner at home, and I was to make the desert. However, I wasnt feeling up to it and cancelled it – in hindsight a good decision coz Praveen had come back home from a long trip that evening and we were all too tired to partaayy….
Anyway, to compensate for it, I decided to make these delicious eggless brownies the next day so they carry it when them back home.
Source: Adapted from various sources on the internet with modifications of my own
- All-purpose flour, 1 cup
- Buttermilk, 1 cup (OR 1 cup of milk mixed with a tablespoon of white vinegar OR 2 tablespoons of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice dissolved in a cupful of water)
- Powdered sugar, ¾ cup
- Cocoa powder, 1/4 cup
- Butter, 5 tbsp. (melted)
- Chocolate chips, 1/4th cup.
- Pieces of dark cooking chocolate (for the fudgy effect)
- 2 Tbsp Nutella (melted to runny consistency in the microwave)
- Walnuts/ hazelnuts, 2 tbsp. (slivered)
- Instant coffee, 1 tsp. (mixed in a tablespoon of water)
- Baking soda, 1 tsp.
- Salt, a generous pinch.
- vanilla essence/ extract – 1/2 tsp
Grease a square baking pan (i used an 8 by 8 inch pan). Cover it with foil or butter paper – makes it easy to remove the brownies and turn them onto a place. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius. In a large bowl sieve together all the dry ingredients Flour, Baking soda, salt, sugar, cocoa powder.
In another bowl, mix together all the wet ingredients buttermilk, butter, nutella, coffee solution, vanilla. Add the wet solution to the dry bowl and mix well with a spatula.Fold in the chocolate chips, nuts and the pieces of dark chocolate.
Pour into the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake for 20-25 mins.
Tip: After 15-18 mins, open the oven door and give the baking pan a tap. This will release the air being formed inside the brownies because of the baking soda and make them nice and fudgy.
Take it out after its done, let it cool completely and then take it out of the pan.
Result: It was awesome! Dark, fudgy, nutty and very very sinful. Have fun baking them. Oh and they are best enjoyed with a scoop of ice-cream and chocolate sauce…